Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Women in Politics

Last night as I sat half-watching Bill O'Reilly discussing Sarah Palin, my husband looked at me oddly and said, "Do you like her?"  

I was a bit taken aback.  And I really wasn't sure how to answer.  

As a woman and a Christian, I really want to be on her side.  It helped that O'Reilly really irritated me with his insinuation that women just can't handle the emotional stress of politics as well as a man.  So, for that moment I was on her side.  In the end though, as a politically nebulous independent voter, I have to admit that I sometimes find her a bit too republican for my taste.  

As I discussed the matter with my husband I realized that there's also a part of me that reacts to her much as I react to Hillary Clinton--I want to like her, I just wish she didn't sound so...strident.  Hillary gets points for being smart.  Sarah gets points for being humorous.  But in the end, they both lose with me.

The woman in me feels guilty about this.  Do I dislike them because they do what they have to do to succeed in what is not supposed to be, but obviously still is, an old boys club?  Is it because they remind me of female bosses and professors whose ardent need to prove they were better than any man was a source of constant irritation for me?  

So, I tried to soothe my guilt by pointing to a female politician for whom I have respect and admiration.  Unfortunately, I'm still searching...  I guess I may owe both women a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment